Spotlight on Water Polo

Courtesy of Christina Fazio ’18

Christina Fazio '18, Features Section Editor

Winter is fast approaching, and with it, both the varsity and JV water polo teams are heading into their seasons. After tryouts and preseason, the girls are currently working hard in the pool during practices in order to ensure a great season.

We know these girls in our classroom environments and the social ones, but their determination and effort exerted are translated with every play during the water polo games.  Water polo is a demanding sport both mentally and physically, as players have to continuously swim back and forth only using one hand to try and score on their opponent’s goal.

Courtesy of Christina Fazio ’18

The season is just beginning, and following the water polo tryouts, both teams have demonstrated superlative actions throughout each and every game of the season. With the assistance of Head Coach, Kate Bradley, they have been unstoppable in such a short amount of time, setting up for what should be an amazing winter season for the water polo teams.

The Junior Varsity team started their season undefeated winning their home games against Westridge 13-4 and Beverly Hills 8-4. They just competed in a tournament over the first weekend in December at Bonita Vista High school. On December 1 at the Bonita Tournament, they defeated La Habra 7-4 and on Saturday, December 2 competed against St. Lucy’s winning 7-6. The Varsity water polo has also kept an undefeated streak winning their first two games against Westridge (16-3) and Beverly Hills by (18-2).

As both the water polo teams have started off their season with strength and determination, they have upcoming home games. Come by the pool to support your fellow Marymount sailors!