The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Uncovering the Legacy of Mental Health Discrimination in Ivy League Institutions: A Historical Perspective

Princeton orange, Columbia blue, and Harvard crimson. What do all these colors have in common with one another? Is it the equally elite image they evoke or is it their association with intellect? Within the realm of student academics and education, we know all too well the rigor and status that come with elite schooling. In the United States, hundreds of thousands of high school students scramble and sacrifice portions of their youth to gain eligibility into these universities. The mere name-dropping of these prestigious institutions— Ivy League Universities— adds an air of credibility, status, intelligence, and even success to one’s persona. 

A 19th-century illustration of Yale College, the liberal arts college under the broader, world-renowned, Yale University (via Getty Images).

To first understand the controversies within these institutions, we must delve into the history of the term “Ivy League.” With roots from the 19th-century tradition of planting ivy on college campuses to represent flourishing growth, Ivy League colleges were originally a title given to universities with successful sporting programs. “Ivy Colleges” were known to be exceptional in football and often competed in an academic league. Now, the Ivy League consists of 8 schools: Harvard, Yale, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, and Cornell, representing academic rigor like no other.

University of Pennsylvania’s Varsity track team in 1905 during the Ivy League’s early days (via Penn Archives).

Within the prestigious and competitive nature of these schools, issues lie far beyond the naked eye. It is no surprise that students with such high expectations placed onto their shoulders by teachers, peers, and even themselves suffer from these complications. Mental health within these institutions has proved to be a tumultuous battle, as these complications run rampant. 

In fact, many students have been forcefully kicked out of their universities due to their mental health conditions. For example, in 2012, an undergraduate student referred to only as W.P. sued Princeton University due to discrimination of mental conditions. W.P. was forced to leave the campus after a suicide attempt despite seeking help from school counselors and therapy sessions. However, upon contacting the school’s medical center, Princeton informed W.P. he would not be able to return to campus for at least a year, even upon receiving approval from his psychiatrist. Furthermore, in 2019, advocates filed a lawsuit against Brown University. One of Brown’s medical students was suffering from depression and ADHD. She was forced to leave the school without attempts to accommodate her conditions. 

The University of Pennsylvania obtained the highest score, a D+, in a 2018 mental health report by the Ruderman Family Foundation compared to other Ivy League schools (via the Daily Pennsylvanian).

There have also been many cases of these Ivy League institutions acting against federal law. In 2022, a lawsuit was filed against Yale University. This suit claimed that Yale had violated the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act by neglecting students with mental health struggles. Yale’s mental health policies were brought to light, as “students with mental health disabilities from less-privileged backgrounds, including students of color, students from poor families or rural areas, and international students” were often the ones who struggled most. Additionally, in 2021, an investigation into Brown University’s mental health facilities uncovered “secret” discrimination against students who took a leave of absence for their mental health. 

Imposter Syndrome, a psychological phenomenon experienced by many undergraduate students, invokes negative feelings of inadequacy and lack of self-worth due to competitive learning environments (via Channing Smith from Glamour).

While universities are not required to take responsibility for their students’ medical care, federal law prevents discrimination against individuals with mental health conditions. These universities are instead expected to accommodate these students and provide the resources to help them succeed. With an estimate of around ¾ of psychologically unstable undergraduate students coupled with the stress cultures of Ivy League universities, it comes as no surprise that most students within these institutions lose defining human experiences: happiness, inclusivity, and belonging.