The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Performative Diversity in Social Media

Social media is a newer invention and has only been around for about 20 years. With that, we are all learning together how to use social media. While social media is great for sharing photos of you going on trips with your family, it is also an impactful tool for sharing your ideas and creating a platform to be an activist. But that raises the question, how can I be an effective social media activist?  

Image that shows social media activism on different platforms. Photo credit by Emma Martinez Sutton via The Spectrum.

The most important thing regarding social media is to remember whatever you post lasts forever and it should be something you truly stand behind. This means when you decide to post something on social media, you need to ensure you are confident in sharing it and will take responsibility for the possible outcomes. A good rule to remember is whether would you be okay with your parents seeing what you posted or your children one day seeing what you posted. There have been cases where things people posted when they were young affect the jobs they get or even being allowed into college. Social media lasts forever and therefore you must be very careful. You also only should want to post about things you support in your real life. “Just because everyone else is doing it” is not a good enough reason for you to be posting about a topic or issue.

Cartoon of people posting on varying social media platforms. Photo credit Fanpage Karama Blog.

Before posting, it is good to do independent research so you understand and are informed about what you are posting about. Posting false information or being uninformed before posting does more harm than good because it promotes the spread of wrong/fake information. Make sure you use good reliable sources before you decide to post about a topic. Another factor to consider when you are trying to do research is to see if the source you are reading is biased. For example, major news channels such as Fox and CNN are biased and the information they are sharing is told in accordance to the political party they are supporting. Some good examples of reliable sources that are unbiased are the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the BBC, and Foreign Affairs.

Clipart of a reliable source. Photo credit Paperpile.

Lastly, posting informational pages about topics you support is one thing, but acting on them is so much more impactful. It is so easy to post about something, but way harder to take action to support the cause you are posting. For example, when you post about something, maybe also link a non-profit or organization that further works to deal with the issue. You should also go out in your community and address the issue. Volunteer or work to start your own organization. Be proactive too! Social media can be a great tool to spread awareness and be an activist on, as long as you are willing to put in the effort to do it correctly.