Dance Machines

Courtesy of Editors Guild

Courtesy of Editors Guild

Courtney Bagnall '17, Staff Writer

This year Marymount is hosting a Homecoming Dance! Since this is ASB’s first year holding the event, many students have expressed curiosity as to how the brand-new dance will unfold. Gabby Pacini and Valory Banashek, the Social Sisters, gave me the inside scoop on all of the details that went into their preparation for this exciting night.

After talking to ASB coordinator, Ms. Pickett, the Social Sisters decided to create the Homecoming Dance because they were inspired by the traditional high school experience that they frequently witnessed in movies and television shows. These whimsical thoughts led them to ask themselves why Marymount has never hosted a Homecoming Dance in the past. Valory and Gabby believe Homecoming is about welcoming a new school year and enjoying high school, because you’re only here once! They also revealed that due to the current season, the ASB has decided to center the dance around the theme of fall!

Valory and Gabby also took time to share their thoughts on bringing guests to Homecoming. If you decide to take a date to the dance, you can ask them with posters, puns, or even food! You can even serenade them if you really want to be bold and creative! Valory recommends that you get inspiration from social media and try to recreate a homecoming proposal you found cute or funny. They stressed that you should not be nervous to ask someone to the dance: be brave and go for it! However, at the same time, do not feel obligated to take a date. Simply going with a group of friends can be extremely fun as well and completely pressure free!

The dance will be held on October 22nd at Lucky Strike, a bowling alley in Hollywood, and filled with phenomenal festivities like bowling, a photo booth, tons of food, and crazy dancing. The attire is semi-formal, so there is a lot of flexibility! You can wear a cocktail dress, a classy romper, or even a pantsuit. Also, if you would like to wear heels, remember to bring a pair of socks to use when you change into bowling shoes! Based on Gabby and Valory’s exciting revelations, this year’s dance sounds truly amazing and they definitely hope everyone attends. Tickets went on sale October 12th through October 14th–so make sure to buy one early on the 12th or the 13th when the price is still $70! If you wait until October 14th, the price will go up to $75.

Now that ASB has established this new Homecoming Dance, they hope everyone will have a wonderful time, and the tradition will continue well into the future!