Beyond H.A.G.S.

Skyler Brown '19, Staff Writer

With traveling, summer camps, and internships, it is easy to become swept up by a busy summer. Often, a crazy schedule or a lazy summer attitude can distract us from spending time with our friends. Despite our best intentions, entire summers can go by without seeing our school friends. It seems that the quickly scrawled out yearbook message “H.A.G.S.,” or “have a great summer,” has become a symbol of disconnected friendships. To ensure that you and your friends spend a great summer together, here are some easy tips to keep in touch.

Courtesy of Skyler Brown ’19

Before school ends, talk to your friends about your schedules. Compare what days people will be traveling and what days will be free to hang out. My friends and I like to create a Google Doc with all the days we will be in town so that we can see which weeks are best to get together. It is a great way to organize a sure summer event in advance. Decide on a date that works for most of your friends at the end of the school year, and arrange one or two fun things to do. You can plan to go to a concert or maybe a sleepover in August, even if it is only June!

It is hard to make plans that work with many complicated schedules. Regardless of our wishes, not every friend will make it to every event. Sometimes it is better to meet multiple times throughout the break with fewer people than to have just one event with all of your friends.

Courtesy of Jillian Neuner ’19

Do not hesitate to reach out last minute! Even though summer is a busy time, it never hurts to check if someone can get together that weekend. Many activities that do not require much planning take advantage of the great summer weather. A beach day, hike, or picnic are a few fun and easy ideas.

Courtesy of India Bland ’19

Even if you cannot see your friends that much over the break, there are still many ways to keep in touch. Keeping up with social media, long text convos, and Skype sessions are great ways to share summer experiences and vent over the dreadful task of finishing Never Let Me Go before school starts again. You can even resort to snail mail! A postcard is always a fun way to see where your friends are, and I’m sure your friends at sleepaway camp will appreciate a care package.