Spirit Week 2020

Stephanie Sowa ‘21, Athletics Section Editor

Spirit Week 2020 has come and gone at Marymount High School, believe it or not. The community brought their enthusiasm and passion following President’s Day Weekend. Continuing the tradition, the seniors incorporated blue into their costumes, the juniors did so with pink, and the sophomores did so with red. Our freshman class voted on yellow for their color which was decided during their freshman orientation. This creative choice stemmed from Marymount’s 100 year anniversary in 2023, the year of their graduation; furthermore, they are referring to their class as the “Golden Girls.” Now, let’s recap the outfits.

Tuesday’s theme was Tunes Tuesday: each class dressed as a genre of music. The seniors pulled up to campus wearing cowboy boots and hats. Seniors pulled out their speakers during lunch to play some beloved country music. For some Marymount students, this could have brought back memories from Stagecoach, especially the reminiscent seniors. The junior class went full-on disco! Juniors wore pink metallic bell-bottoms and focused on “Stayin’ Alive” amidst all the chaos of ACT/SAT preparations and piles of homework. Sophomores dressed as gothic musicians and black eyeshadow made its comeback! Freshman exuded the 2000s pop music culture, challenging icons such as Britney Spears and Beyoncé. At lunch, a lip-sync battle was held to carry on the festivities. Before we knew it, Winning Wednesday had arrived. Seniors looked ready to throw some punches with their boxing gloves. Juniors wore pink stripes underneath their eyes with football jerseys and braided hair. Sophomores were prepared to hit a home run with their amazing baseball outfits. Freshman wore basketball jerseys, and many wore Lakers jerseys as tribute to Kobe Bryant and the other lives taken in a fatal helicopter crash at the end of January. Time Travel Thursday came out of nowhere, reminding us that time flies when you’re having fun. Seniors dressed as moms and they had phenomenal outfits including pins with faces of children and large tote bags. I could not stop laughing as I watched my senior friends stuff jackets up their shirts in an attempt to pretend they were pregnant mothers. Juniors were the elderly as they sported canes, walkers, hair rollers, large glasses, and robes. Unfortunately, we could not fully immerse ourselves in the theme because we would have received infractions for walking slowly to class. Sophomores were babies and dressed in comfortable onesies and pigtails. Freshman dressed as dads with their barbecue gear and oversized hoodies. 

Finally, Class Color Day arrived. Each class dressed head to toe in their colors. Freshman were shining like the sun, Sophomores were burning like fire, Juniors were as pink as cotton candy, and the Seniors were a sea of blue. Each class filled the Pavillion and every sailor was ready to dance their hearts out. Teachers braced themselves for the loud cheering, screaming, and singing. Your ears are never the same after spirit week. All grades made a TikTok presented at the beginning of the activity block. Although each video was unique and special, the Senior’s sentimentality helped them win the hearts of everyone. Other competitions included partner races, yoga-ball relay, and musical chairs. The Freshman did a fantastic job for their first Marymount Spirit Week Dance. All of the students and teachers were cheering them on and congratulating them for participating in one of the most iconic school traditions. The Sophomores also blew everyone away and the Juniors persevered through two music malfunctions. The Senior dance was absolutely incredible. The coordination, difficult moves, surfing stunt (utilizing a skateboard), and glow-in-the-dark gloves were some of the most memorable aspects. The Seniors won the dance competition, as well as the entire Spirit Week with the Freshman close behind. Juniors Carrie Ma and Stephanie Ang built a trophy using Marymount’s Maker Space for the seniors to claim until their graduation. 

As a junior, I watched with a heavy heart my senior friends dance and compete in their last spirit week. I was extremely proud of them as they were incredible, but I realized how much I would miss them when they graduate. However, they will receive a plethora of spirit week videos in 2021! Ultimately, Spirit Week 2020 was a success and the entire Marymount community is looking forward to next year.