Student Activities Fair

Paloma Maisonet '22, Staff Writer

Although presented virtually, the Fall Activity fair was a success. Similar to past years,  the event consisted of a slideshow with short descriptions of the several different clubs. What was most notable about the various clubs was how they reflect the world around them. From environmental clubs to student alliances, Marymount students are building clubs to better the world.  

The emergence of two more eco-conscious groups, Beach Clean-up Club and Evergreen Club, address the growing global climate crisis. Through these clubs, Marymount continues to make change and stress conscientiousness. The leadership of young women in an environmental movement is an impactful sight, following the example of climate activist Greta Thunberg and actress and longtime activist Jane Fonda, who arranged the Friday Fire Drills in Washington D.C. 

A striking part of the Activity Fair was the number of STEM Clubs that were created and available for Marymount girls to join. The four clubs include the Future Scientists Club, Girls Who Code, Mathletes, and Pre-Med Club. The inclusion of several STEM-focused clubs encourages female leadership in these underrepresented fields. Since only a small percentage of women comprise male-dominated STEM workforces, these clubs help create a world with women in the forefront. 

The Activity Fair continued its cultural awareness and inclusion through the presentation of clubs like the BSA (Black Student Alliance), KSA (Korean Student Alliance), LSA (Latinx Student Alliance), and Unity (an LGBTQ+ Student Alliance). These alliances serve as safe spaces for those included in their individual smaller communities as well as those who desire to learn the perspective of these other communities to create a truer diversity in our school.

An organization incredibly influential in making sure the school is a more inclusive environment for everyone is the Student Diversity Awareness Board. This board serves to educate the Marymount community and spread awareness about the different groups comprising the school. They focus on different cultures and backgrounds each month, discussing and sharing the issues they face as well as the lively activities or influential figures within their culture. 

Of course, not every club looks to the future in such awe inspiring ways, some just serve to have fun. Such clubs like the Climbing Club, which, pre-COVID, used to go once a month to try their capabilities at the bouldering and eventually advance to longer and more difficult climbs. This club, among others like the Surf Club and Debate Club, provides challenging fun with one’s peers. 

Essentially, as the range of clubs widen, our community grows into a more conscious and worldly bunch unlimited by any restrictions. One is able to practice diplomacy in MUN; learn about their community through an alliance; or steal a weekend away to engage with Surf Club along the Pacific Coast.