Courtyard Takeover: An Inside Scoop on the Most Pressing Lunchtime Topics

Abby McMillan, Staff Writer

When it comes to teenagers, gossiping and conversations on the most random topics are a given. However, when it comes to lunchtime chatter at Marymount High School, the topics tend to go beyond random. 

Venturing into the Freshman courtyard, we get an inside scoop from Freshman Gigi DiGenova. Gigi told us that the freshman courtyard is filled with talk about soccer and school. She expressed how many of the freshmen have a love for the sport, and it really helps them form a special bond with one another. Gigi, and the rest of the freshman class, agreed that new Ugg slippers were going to be at the top of their Christmas wish lists only so they can sport them on Free dress days, of course. The question remains: will Marymount’s very own “Santa” be willing to give more free dress days…? (Ms. Regan, I’m talking to you!)

Sophomore courtyard superstars Jillian Dombrowski and Izzy Sullivan talk about the infamous Loyola Formal and the greatest dilemma of the 20th century: what to wear! Jillian mentioned that many of her peers are freaking out about who they are going to go with and debating on which heels to wear. My advice, Sophomores, don’t worry about the formal too much because, in my opinion, Marymount’s is much more fun (but I am a little biased…)  Izzy also informed me that the girls who were not invited to the formal are going to “plan something super fun to do Saturday night instead.” Uh, count me in, Izzy! Izzy, similar to Gigi, mentioned how Christmas has been a huge part of their lunchtime chats recently. They’ve shared their wish lists for the holidays and the fun plans they have to do over break. However, we all know that along with the winter break comes finals season. Izzy Sullivan expressed to us, “A lot of the sophomores are stressed and nervous for finals because they are the first ones at Marymount for us, and we don’t know what to expect.” You’ll feel the same way Junior year too! Yay…  

Marymount’s Junior Class enjoying ramen day at the end of Winter Week!

Just a few steps down the path comes the Junior Courtyard. Ryan Ferguson, a current junior at Marymount High School, reported how she and her friends often talk about the lack of seating in the junior courtyard. She told us that “oftentimes we have to sit on the floor because our chairs keep disappearing–” sophomores, we’re onto you… The Junior courtyard, as many of the juniors complain, does not offer adequate seating for everyone to sit around and hang out together during lunch, but as Lola Casotrina explains, it doesn’t really matter anyway because “nothing really interesting happens during lunchtime talks because usually there aren’t many” (Lola Castorina). Lola and the majority of the junior class spend their lunches studying and completing homework, as Junior year is no small feat. When the opportunity to complete work arises (AKA lunchtime) Juniors make sure to get going!

Last, but certainly not least, we enter the senior courtyard. Senior Mia Mack told The Anchor that the majority of their lunchtime conversations, and oftentimes the most interesting, revolve around the fun plans they have outside of school, and on the weekends. She stated that they also spend lots of their lunchtime formulating plans for them to do together, recently ones revolving around the holiday season such as ice skating. Another current senior at Marymount, Morgan Shaw, explained her very similar lunchtime discussions with her friends. She explained that her friends love the outdoors, and they are currently discussing a possible camping trip for them to go on as a group. That sounds awesome! Where’s my invite?  

Whether about Santa or doing homework, lunchtime is a great way to connect with your Sailor Sisters and relax during the school day. While lunchtime talks aren’t always extremely interesting, and sometimes there is no time to talk at all, there is still a sense of school-wide community, even in our random topics of discussion. But hey, if you ever feel like you have too much time to spare during lunch, maybe consider signing up for some clubs? That will keep you plenty busy!