The Sisterhood

The+Sisterhood

Emma Baskin, Student Life Section Editor

Just 4 short years ago, I walked through the halls of Marymount for the first time. I spent my shadow day with three different students and, immediately, I saw the inspiring academic greatness, the strong bonds between friends, the collaborative relationships with teachers, and the overwhelming sense of community and pride that roams within each building, each classroom, each teacher, and each student. 

I was unaware at the time that this school would become my home for the next four years – a place I could rely on and come to time and time again where I would meet my best friends and, eventually, my sisters. I returned home back to Texas, missing the moments I had at Marymount in Los Angeles and wishing I was back in California. This was the first time I experienced: The Sisterhood. 

Fast forward to when I received my acceptance letter in my inbox and had the conversation with my family that I wanted to pursue this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I don’t want to spoil the ending or anything, but guess what?! I enrolled in the freshman class at Marymount and moved to Manhattan Beach with my family! 

I arrived at Marymount on August 15th, 2019 to attend the Freshman Orientation. We started the day with icebreakers, mass, and then we headed off with our selected groups to learn more about the programs that were offered. My group and I first headed to dance with Ms. Carson, where she taught us simple choreography that was too easy for my beautiful dancing skills that we all know I have… (duh). It was in this class that I met a girl named Shea Tepstein who also shared an incredible talent for dancing (I was better, though!), and we bonded over our other-worldly dancing abilities. We then headed to lunch and Shea introduced me to a girl that still follows me around to this day, Lilly Fisher. In all seriousness, I have never met two people that have made me feel like I could genuinely be myself all the time. Hanging out with them felt instantly natural like they were the only two friends I needed in my life. This was the second time I experienced The Sisterhood. 

The next day, my very first day at Marymount, I was met with a confusing schedule in which I knew where none of the classrooms were despite walking through all of them the day prior. As I was already 10 minutes late to my Acting I class, I ran into Amanda Aldana who saw me wandering around aimlessly and so kindly pointed me in the right direction. Though small, this was the third (maybe second and a half) time I experienced the Sisterhood. 

The phrase “absence makes the heart grow fonder” could not be more true; months had passed since I last saw my friends, and Zoom school was not cutting it for me anymore. Then, Ms. Regan announced that we would be opening up school again for “wellness activities” and I was over the moon. These activities soon developed into a full school day where I could learn in a classroom again and I was able to physically be with my friends. I remember hugging people that I have never hugged before and talking to teachers that had no idea who I was but still spared the short conversation. I was just so happy to be back. Seeing my friends, seeing the community again –  this was the fourth time I experienced the Sisterhood. 

Now, I sit here in the Junior courtyard, surrounded by chatter and nonstop TikTok sounds, writing this article and reflecting on my time here thus far, reflecting on the Sisterhood. I have now come to realize that the Sisterhood is not only the people we meet, the great experiences we collectively go through, the communities every Monday morning. The Sisterhood is the little moments in between. The Sisterhood is the car ride to school in the morning with lots of coffee and lots of people. The Sisterhood is the tiring walk from Cantwell to Butler. The Sisterhood is the TikTok sounds and the random conversations. 

The Sisterhood is each and every one of us.