We Need A-Latte Coffee!

Emma Baskin, Student Life Section Editor

There are only 10 days left in this school year and I’ve got some tips to help you finish it out strong: COFFEE, of course! 

Through an extensive investigation and research process, I interviewed Sailors around campus to hear how they get through the day. These are the results: 

First, I met with Dr. Gonzalez who shared how she thrives on coffee. Her go-to order is an oat milk cappuccino from any small or local coffee shop. She highly recommends going to support small businesses because a lot of the time, their coffee is even better than chains. Thanks for the tip, Dr. G. 

Next, Ainsley Deming and Rachael Kutsenda, famous MHS seniors, explained how they get coffee every morning to survive the day. Especially Rachael– she worked as a barista at Gitana Cafe in Hermosa Beach, so she “learned a lot about coffee and the process of making it.” She says her go-to order is a double shot macchiato. Sounds like you got a lot of homework! While she doesn’t have barista experience, Ainsley still knows the ins and outs of the best coffee orders: “I always get an iced vanilla latte blended from Belwood Bakery in Brentwood.” Say that three times fast… Sounds delicious, Ainsley!

Senior Ainsley Deming enjoys her iced latte from Belwood Bakery!

In my research, I also discovered that some people don’t like coffee! Sophomore Zoe Anaya says she isn’t a fan, but she loves a good matcha latte from Great White. Her fellow classmate, India Richmond, has a much more specific order, though. She likes an iced coffee with a little milk, one sugar, and cold foam from either Blue Bottle or Starbucks. Mmmm, YUM! 

On the second floor of Butler, I met with Ms. Arocho, who is also a Starbucks fan! She says an iced vanilla coffee with a splash of half and half is the secret to a perfect day, and Ryan Ferguson agrees! Her go-to order is very similar to Ms. Arocho’s: she gets an iced vanilla latte (“the biggest size they have”), but instead of half and half, Ryan adds oat milk! 

Wow, Sailors! You’ve got some good taste. Personally, I enjoy an iced vanilla latte with 2% milk from Two Guns in Manhattan Beach, but the cold brew I have at home never fails to wake me up too. 🙂 

Overall, it sounds like we need to take a whole-school field trip to local coffee shops. We’ve got lots of new orders to try!