Setting Goals for Spring

Nadia Shammaie, Staff Writer

As spring approaches and the rainy season comes to a close, it is time to set new goals for ourselves. Going out of your comfort zone and pursuing new activities on and off campus, as well as keeping up with your academic work, are beneficial and productive goals that you can set for yourself this spring.

There are endless possibilities for new leadership positions this season. Fastly approaching are ASB/CC elections. Although being a part of ASB is a big responsibility, leading your class or even the entire student body is a rewarding endeavor and strengthens your work ethic, time management skills, and community-building/leadership abilities. And for those who are anxious public speakers like me, just saying your speech, regardless of whether or not you even win the position, is a huge accomplishment and a step towards growing your confidence.  Additional opportunities include Campus Ministry, Honor Council, Retreat Leadership (especially a rewarding position for rising Juniors), Silver and Gold Ambassador applications, etc. Becoming more involved in the Marymount community doesn’t just mean applying for leadership positions; joining that club or alliance you’ve always wanted to, making a writing or art submission to Sunset, or even signing up to write a couple of articles for The Anchor (I might be biased, but I highly recommend this one). 

Along with being more involved within the Marymount school community, make outside-of-school academic plans for the summer. SAILL or any other type of internship not only builds work experience and responsibility but can also help you determine if you want to go into a specific field (which makes choosing your applied major for college much easier). If none of the SAILL internships appeal to you, try applying for a job to gain that same work experience (and maybe some extra cash for an updated summer wardrobe). Another way to be proactive about the college application process is to apply for a pre-college program at a school you’re interested in. This way, you’ll have a clear idea of what being a student at that school is like, and whether or not you’re still interested in applying after the program is over. Pre-college programs are also a great way to meet new people, experience a different region of the country, and enrich your mind. On the topic of enriching your mind, Sophomores can spend their spring and summer beginning to study for the SAT/ACT and Juniors should continue to study hard.

In addition to the new leadership opportunities, clubs you could participate in, and the experiences you can pursue over the summer, staying on top of your coursework and preparing well for AP exams should be your number one priority. 

Overall, there is so much in store for you this season. Set goals. Challenge yourself. Go get ‘em, Sailors!