How to Prep for AP Exams

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Paige Kun, Staff Writer

As everyone knows, it is now May and that means that AP Exams are starting soon! While these exams can be a source of stress for students, coming into them prepared can ease some of the anxiety and boost confidence. From healthy habits to practice tests, there are a variety of ways to prepare for the AP exams in order to do your best on the day of the exam. 

Sleep

In order to do your best on the day of your exam, make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep beforehand. Try to go to bed early the night before, as being tired the next morning can be harmful. Instead of staying up late studying, going to bed early can help you feel more refreshed in the morning and can make it easier to focus. 

Food

Before heading to school, choose a healthy breakfast to start your day. Foods like almonds, fruit, and oatmeal have been known to help with test taking, as they are “Brain Foods.” Try to avoid sugary breakfast foods, as they can cause you to lose energy throughout the day. Drink plenty of water before going into the exam as well. Also, if you usually start your morning with a cup of coffee, do not drink more than you usually do, as too much caffeine can make you jittery during the exam. 

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Study

The best way to prepare yourself for an exam is to study the material. Find practice tests online and utilize AP Classroom for extra review. Go over your notes from the year and review tests you have taken in order to address any mistakes you may be making. For history classes, consider making a timeline. For math classes, work on memorizing important formulas. Most importantly, remember that you have been preparing for the exam the entire school year and you know the material well. 

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

Destress

On the day of the exam, make sure to calm your nerves before entering the test room. Take deep breaths and remind yourself that you will do well. If you enjoy meditation exercises, try a few before coming to school. Overall, remember that everything will turn out fine and that you have worked hard to prepare for the exam.

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

With these tips, you will be well-prepared for your exams. Good luck, Sailors!