The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

27 Tips For The Class of 2027: (Coming from Someone Who Just Finished Freshman Year)

My freshman year at Marymount was definitely a memorable experience. It was a time period of a lot of learning and growth as well as a major adjustment period. I wish I had these tips throughout that first year, so I want others to have them:

1. Don’t procrastinate!
  • You will be less stressed and will have more free time overall!

2. Get to know upperclassmen

• Playing on sports teams is a  great way to do this, and they are bonds that are so unique from people just in your class

3. SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP

A girl sleeping
Courtesy of Envato Elements
  • You will be more energized and overall do better in your classes!

4. Don’t be afraid to ask questions

• It can be nerve-wracking but remember: it will help you understand the material better and form connections with your teachers. Teachers are also always there to answer any question you may have, and are happy to help!

5. Don’t compare yourself to others

• It’s easy to feel down when people get a better grade on an assignment than you, but it is so important to remember that you are on your own path and give yourself grace as it won’t happen all of the time!

6. Take advantage of your locker

• You might be hesitant to do this, but it is so much easier on your back and you won’t have to carry so many heavy books at one time!
Lockers Courtesy of The Inspired Home

7. Use a planner

• This was extremely helpful as it allowed for organization and staying on top of what quizzes/tests were coming up
Student Planner Courtesy of Hayle Santella

8. Make time for you

• It’s so easy to get so wrapped up in school, that you forget that you need time just to relax. Even if it just taking a 5-minute break while doing homework, this will help you feel less stressed and overall help with your mental well-being. 
A girl taking a break Courtesy of Freekpik

9. Create a schedule that works for you

• It’s extremely helpful to make a schedule for your day when it’s a bit crazier than normal. This can help you feel less stressed and not run out of time to do everything you need to do.
  • An example is below:
    • 3-5 pm: Get home and relax, eat something
    • 5-7 pm: Finish any homework that might be due the next day
    • 7-7:30 pm: Light studying or long-term work 
    • 7:30-8 pm: Eat dinner
    • 8-9 pm: Take a shower
    • 9-10 pm: Finish any other homework/start winding down

10. Try different study habits

• For most people, the intensity of Marymount’s curriculum is new. This is why it is important to test different study habits and find out what works for you. This includes studying alone or with a group, making slideshows or Google Docs,  studying out loud or in your head, etc. 
A girl studying Courtesy of Applerouth

11. Smile at everyone

• Even though it might not feel necessary, it can really make a difference in someone’s day and ultimately even allow you to become close to that person! 
A girl smiling Courtesy of Texas A&M University

12. Find a healthy outlet for stress

• When you’re stressed, the best way to resolve it is to do something you love! This can be anything from taking a walk to talking with friends!

13. Take advantage of the SAILL program

• This is looking a bit ahead, but doing an internship the summer after freshman year was one of the best things I’ve ever done. It was a great way to do something I’m passionate about and see careers I’m interested in head-on.

14. Have a good study space

• It’s so important to have a dedicated space for doing homework/studying, as it will help you stay focused and do your assignments more efficiently. 
An organized study space Courtesy of Omnigraphics Blog

15. Do extra credit whenever it is offered

• Even though there might not be that much, it is still super important to do it when it is offered because ultimately it can change your A- to an A, B- to a B, etc. 

16. Make sure your calculator is charged

• For Geometry, your calculator battery will last 2 weeks. But believe it or not, those 2 weeks creep up and your battery will run out when you least expect it. Stay on top of when it needs to be charged!
Calculator Courtesy of Target

17. Join clubs outside of your usual interests

• You may be hesitant to do this, but this will allow you to discover new interests and passions you didn’t know you had otherwise!

18. Take advantage of Marymount’s service opportunities

• It can be challenging to find the time to complete the service hours requirement when juggling schools, sports, and other commitments. Taking advantage of this will help the service requirements to be much easier to complete.
People picking up trash Courtesy of MomJunction

19. Utilize weekends to get ahead

• This may seem strange as weekends are the two days a week we mostly get a break from the school environment, but I promise it helps to get ahead on your homework due on Monday and Tuesday. It overall helps you get a head start on the entire week and feel less stressed going into it.

20. Try to do homework the night it is assigned

• Even though there is a block schedule that allows us 2 days to do homework from our classes, it is so helpful just to start it when it’s assigned to get ahead and not have to rush to do it the night before. It also gives you time to ask teachers for help if you need it.
A girl doing her homework Courtesy of Help Your Teens

21. Participate in class

• This kind of works hand-in-hand with asking questions, but it is so important to do this because it shows your teachers you are committed, helps you understand what you are learning better, and possibly could be part of your grade!
A girl raising her hand to participate Courtesy of iStock

22. Office Hours = Meet with your teachers

• It is super helpful to make it a habit that office hours are a time that is sectioned out to go to your teachers for any help you might need. Having 7 completely different teachers is a new change for some people, so enforcing a specific time to go will help you balance going to all the teachers you need to go to!

23. Take advantage of extra school activities/events

• It is so easy to get completely wrapped up in the school zone, but remember that Marymount has so many extra fun gatherings! Sports games, plays, performances, and other events happen all the time at MHS, so take advantage and go to a couple once in a while!

24. Do what makes you happy!

• This will look different for everyone, but if there is a certain activity or club that you absolutely love but it’s not very common, still do it! You might worry that you aren’t fitting in, but I promise it is overall better to do what you love and be happy. This will also help you overall be a happier person and have a better well-being altogether.
A girl painting Courtesy of The Art Studio NY

25. Give yourself grace

• This is a major adjustment period that is on a whole another level. For me, my “adjusting” period lasted around 3 weeks, but for some people, it may take a couple of months, and that’s okay! Don’t be concerned if you aren’t completely adjusted by a certain time, because I promise, eventually, it will happen.

26. It’s unpredictable

• This is a true fact, things change daily. High school will be a completely new experience that you have never gone through before and will definitely be a time for a lot of firsts. Be ready for unexpected situations and things to happen because they will, I promise!

27. Be present

• Live in the moment! Freshman year is going to fly by. One second it feels like school will never end, the next minute, you’re walking out of your last classroom as a freshman. Soak in every moment, because it’ll be gone before you know it.

A group of girls laughing Courtesy of YouWorkForThem