The Anchor

The Anchor

The Anchor

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Capping and Pinning Ceremony Bonds Students in Tradition

On Monday, November 12, 2012, the Marymount community gathered on the Senior Lawn to celebrate the time-honored tradition of Capping and Pinning. Students sat with their families in rows of chairs facing the grotto under the warm sun. To add to the fun, each family had a creative name such as, the “Directioners” and the “Dance Moms”.

The ceremony began with inspirational words from Ms. Landry about the importance of sisterhood and support for one another. Ms. Cartusciello followed with a recount of her experience at Marymount and described how receiving her sailor cap as a freshman marked one of the most memorable moments of her high school career. After Ms. Cartusciello’s talk, the ritual began: the junior and senior classes initiated their freshmen and sophomore little sisters as each family came up one at a time to take part in this wonderful tradition.

The whole experience was perhaps most significant for the members of the class of 2016. The first months of freshman year can overwhelm and intimidate the freshman, but with the help of their big sisters, freshmen sailors can experience the transition from eighth to ninth grade with ease and enjoyment. After surviving their first biology midterms, English essays, sports competitions, performances, and art projects, the freshmen have adapted to life at Marymount.

Capping the freshman with sailor hats signified their official welcome into the Marymount community.  One freshman, Olivia B., remarked, “It was a welcoming experience for us freshmen, and I am looking forward to my years here at Marymount.” The newest members of the Marymount community are now official sailors, and are ready to set sail on their journey along with the rest of the Marymount family.

The sophomores also further established their position as Marymount sailors as they obtained their pins from their big sisters. Even though the class of 2015 already constitutes a major part of Marymount’s family, the landmark blue and gold pin worn on the blazers of all of Marymount’s upperclassmen symbolizes leadership. Jessenia Z., ’15 remarked, “Knowing that pinning is one of the traditions at Marymount that further initiates you into the community, I was very excited to finally get to sport that pin that all the upperclassmen wear. As soon as my big sister pinned me, I felt like I was a true sailor.”

What Jessenia said can also be applied to the feeling of newfound leadership among the junior class. As big sisters the 11th graders feel an obligation to be good role models for their little sisters. It wasn’t long ago that the girls of the class of 2014 were being capped. Taking on an important leadership role by capping the freshmen can be daunting. Lex S., ’14 said, “The experience of capping my little sister was very special. For the first time I really felt like a big sister and now I want to make sure that I do all that I can to be the best big sister to her.”

The seniors, who have learned how to be excellent big sisters, saw the act of pinning their as a passing of the torch on to the next generation of Marymount leaders. The sophomores are ready to accept this leadership and many seniors like Julia H. are ready to pass it down. “Capping and pinning is a rite of passage at Marymount,” commented Julia H., ’13, “and it means a lot to me to have the opportunity to do it with such a great little sister!” The entire Marymount community feels sailor strong after sharing the experience of capping and pinning.

About the Contributor
Phoebe Balson, Arts & Culture Editor
Phoebe Balson is a senior at Marymount High School. Phoebe B. (Phoebs, Phoebster, etc.) looks forward to knowing what college she’s attending, spending time with the people she loves, and traveling later this year.  Her favorite color is pink, duh, and she also loves theater, dance, writing, Liam Payne, her friends, and her family.  Phoebe wants to be an Oscar-winning actress or the Editor-in-Chief of Marie Claire magazine (sorry, Joanna Coles!).  Her horse’s name is Somorhay (some more hay… get it?), she rock climbs every year in Joshua Tree, and she dreams of journeying to India.  Phoebe hates spiders, know-it-alls, humidity, polenta, and a frozen computer, but she enjoys art history, sushi, and Pitch Perfect.