Feminism: A Common Miss-Understanding

Kate Wegleitner '16, Staff Writer

When I first came to Marymount as a freshman I had barely, if at all, heard the word feminism before. As a junior, I can easily say that the word has become an integral part of my vocabulary. I’ll admit, freshman year I was wary about the whole idea of feminism, partially because I didn’t have a clear understanding of what it meant. As far as I knew, women had had the right to vote since 1920, which meant men and women were treated equally, right? Wrong. Okay, so maybe I wasn’t that naïve, but pretty close. It’s astonishing that many people still think this way, but then again, not everyone gets the chance to go to an all-girls high school where it’s almost taboo to say you aren’t a feminist. Many do not understand that the key concept behind feminism is simply gender equality; feminism does not represent a radicalized world of female power, where men are shunned or mistreated.

People commonly misconceive feminism as “man-hating,” which couldn’t be more false. The New American Oxford Dictionary defines feminism as “the advocacy of women’s rights on grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.” The key word, equality, disproves any connection between feminism and discrimination against men: feminism advocates the idea that both genders should receive equal respect and opportunities. Although the definition helps to clarify the meaning of feminism, it leaves out many underlying aspects of the word. Feminism is an idea, a value, a movement that combats distorted views of women.

The modern world desperately needs women and men who act on their beliefs to challenge the status quo. In America, the perception of women over the last century has changed dramatically. Women have the ability to do so much more now than they did fifty years ago; however, the media somewhat detracts from these advancements by frequently objectifying women. Over-sexualizing women in commercials, television shows, and movies sends a subconscious message to people that they should value women for their bodies, instead of for their intellectual identities. Advertisements frequently misrepresent women by using Photoshop to alter genuine images. This misleads women, since they then expect “perfect”– more like impossible and unrealistic – physical features. Please, do not fall victim to this trap. We subject ourselves so often to the misrepresentations of women, especially living in Los Angeles, but that doesn’t mean we have to accept them. Acknowledge that what you see is not necessarily accurate or true and be an advocate for positive self-image.

This brings us back to the idea that feminism involves not only believing in equality, but also taking action to correct the way we portray and perceive women. The situation in the United States is just the tip of the iceberg: women face injustices all around the world, oftentimes much worse than just misrepresentation. We can only start to resolve these issues by exemplifying the change we wish to see. Celebrate your individuality instead of trying to conform or reach society’s absurd expectations. Think twice before envying the thin model in a picture – she may not look like that at all! Try not to compare yourself to anyone else, strive for the best you, and encourage others to do the same.