Bringing Honor to Us All: The Truth About Honor Council

Olivia Scott '17, Staff Writer

During Community this year, we have been learning a lot about Marymount’s Honor Council through their monthly videos that address the imperative topics of integrity, honesty, and most recently, what it means to receive “unauthorized aid.” This dedicated panel of students and teachers has been working hard all year to ensure that Marymount remains a place that upholds these values. Kaitlyn ‘16, as well as Mrs. Bayle, both of whom are members of the Honor Council, share their experiences below.

What is Honor Council?

Kaitlyn:Honor Council is an academic board that enforces integrity and honesty in our Marymount community, and the teachers and the students are at the same level so both opinions matter.”

Mrs. Bayle: “Honor Council is a committee comprised of teachers and student representatives that works to promote living honorably and with integrity.”

Why is Honor Council important?

Kaitlyn: “It enforces honesty and integrity in our school and I think it’s really important to make sure everyone is doing their own work and getting credit for it.”

Mrs. Bayle: “Honor Council is important because high school prepares students for real life and we want to help students be prepared to make good choices when faced with ethical challenges.”

Why do you like being a part of Honor Council?

Kaitlyn: “It is nice to work collaboratively with the teachers, and I like that we are becoming more proactive in our school by creating monthly videos that discuss the important topics during community.”

Mrs. Bayle: “I like being a part of Honor Council because it has given me an opportunity to work with teachers and students that I previously didn’t know that well, and I enjoy the enthusiasm towards working on our monthly videos. It’s made me more reflective about what having an Honor Commitment at Marymount means.”

Why do we need an honor council at Marymount?

Mrs. Bayle: “We need an honor council to promote a culture of integrity because as humans, we’re not perfect and we’re going to make mistakes, and the hope is that we can learn from those mistakes and make better choices in the future.”

If you would like to become a member of the Honor Council, elections this year will be held in March, and representatives will be elected from the incoming tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grades.