Fitness Camp Strengthens and Inspires

Ashley Chase '16, Staff Writer

Around fifteen young Marymount students gathered at 8 AM the very week after the last day of school. Tired, but excited, they were about to embark on an amazing fun and physical journey. The Fitness Camp would last two weeks, and be packed with empowering and invigorating activities such as Zumba, hiking, and cycling. Everyday, the girls filed into two vans with Coach S. and supporters such as Señora Gibson and Señora Valenzuela, who would transport them to exciting and different locations.

After jogging up the Santa Monica Stairs, where the girls met members of the Clippers basketball team, toning up with pilates, cardio barre classes, cycling, and spending a day at Orangetheory Fitness gyms, the girls learned that they were capable of anything. Every trainer had motivational words of wisdom that proved the benefits and certainty of having confidence in one’s strength, and the ability to say, “I can.” The workouts did not all occur indoors; in fact, the girls visited various hiking trails such as Griffith Park and the Los Liones Trail, exploring and bonding as a team. The entire camp was extremely uplifting because each member felt comfortable to work at her own pace, but also strove to make her best even better.

Marymount’s Fitness Camp “introduced me to many new places to work out in Los Angeles, rather than having to stay at school or at home,” said Dani Glenn ’18. “It taught me how to exercise in a healthy way that did not overwork me by focusing on a positive mindset. They even integrated meditation to show the importance of loving yourself, so it was a really fun experience.”