Water Polo at Marymount

Ally Walsh '17, Photo Editor

When you think of water polo, what do you think?

A horse playing polo in a pool? Because if so, ha-ha – we are not amused!

Or do you think of 26 girls in a pool swimming back and forth with one yellow ball for what feels like eternity until someone shoots? Well if that’s what you think, you are right. That is the sport twenty plus of your very own Sailors played for three months.

With new coach, Coach Helms valiantly leading the way as Marymount’s water polo and swim coach, the water polo team was bound to improve this year.

“She was always very supportive of us and helped us keep our attitudes up during bad games,” says Anna Fotinich ’19, a member of the Varsity Team.

Member of JV, Xea Myers ’18 adds, “Coach Helms is an amazing coach who made me love water polo and made me want to do my best each day!”

Everyone on the team put in 100% effort during practices, leading them to vastly improve their passing and ball control in games.

“I loved that the team was very close and that we grew together as one throughout the season. The team was always very supportive of each other,” says Fotinich. The team, made up of students from all grades and all different skill levels, always pushed each other to improve no matter what.

The water polo team is a welcoming group of girls who work hard and do amazing work every day during the season. Each year they accomplish great things, improve their skills, and love each other like family. Everyone is welcome, so come to the pool deck next year if you want to learn an amazing sport and make some lifelong friends.

Courtesy of Ally Walsh '17
Courtesy of Ally Walsh ’17