What is the “Best” Gift Ever?

Jillian Neuner ’19, Staff Writer

According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a gift is something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation.

The key word in this definition is “voluntarily.” In other words, a gift is something that is given to one person from another without a price or expectation. Clearly, with this definition in mind, a gift must fall under the category of “special” or “generous.”

As a common tradition during one’s birthday, Hanukah, Christmas, or any other event that involves gifts, an individual often creates a list of what they desire. There is a certain inherent “expectation.” With that said, what truly makes the best gift? According to two freshmen, who can recall their favorite presents, spontaneity makes for a perfect gift.

Lia Capellari ’19 reminisces about her most special gift, “Last year I was very fortunate to receive some incredibly kind gifts from my best friend. Three months before my actual birthday, she told me that I left something at her house, and that her dad would drop it off. When I got home that day, I arrived to see my birthday present sitting at my house. I was so surprised at her kind gesture, and it made me feel so important and loved.”

Lia’s friend not only made a kind gesture, but she did it when Lia was least expecting it. Due to the shock and surprise created by the spontaneity of the gift, Lia felt overwhelmingly touched. The kindness and generosity had an even greater impact than the gift itself.

Bella Wright ’19, had a similar experience. She recalls a moment of kindness from a friend: “One day I got back from school to find a plate of chocolate chip cookies sitting on my desk. My day had been very long and stressful, and the cookies cheered me up. A little while later, I found out that my friend had left them for me. It was so nice and reassuring to know someone was thinking and looking out for me. It made me feel so ecstatic and grateful of my friend!”

Bella’s friend took an opportunity that required a little extra time and effort, but it made a world of a difference to Bella.

Sometimes, the most unexpected gift fills a person with joy and creates an indelible memory. A true gift arrives when neither expected nor mentioned. A true gift emanates from the heart and does not stem from obligation.