Opinions on the New Virtual AP Testing

Courtesy of the College Board

Grace Staver ‘21, Student Life Section Editor

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread, social distancing measures have been enforced, including the prohibition of any large gathering of people. As a result, AP exams have been changed from in-person, three hour tests to virtual, 45 minute assessments. Most AP exams previously contained sections dedicated to multiple choice and written responses; more specifically, modern language classes also contained a verbal section. But now, most tests have exempted multiple choice and solely contain written responses, and Modern Language AP exams are only verbal. Below are multiple perspectives on the new virtual AP testing from Marymount sophomores and juniors.

• “I definitely think it’s going to be easier to do well, but I’m nervous to receive a prompt that I’m not very confident in because your whole score ultimately rides on one DBQ” –– Simone Marijic Buljubasic ‘22 (AP Euro)
  • “I am glad that the college board didn’t completely cancel the AP exam, but as a first year AP student, I am worried for the new format. I worry of the fact that one 45 minute DBQ will be the only deciding factor in my score; however, Mr. Beckner, my AP Euro teacher, has guided me well throughout the year and has taught me the skill set that will be most effective for the test” – Kelly McAllister ‘22 (AP Euro student)
  • “I think that the AP board is doing the best they can, given circumstances. Honestly, I feel less nervous about taking them, knowing that I will have access to notes. That being said, it’s still important to study. Also, I’m nervous to take it at home, I hope that my family doesn’t distract me or walk in while I’m taking the test and break my focus.” – Dara Dooley ‘21
  • “In regards to the new AP format, I have some mixed feelings. As I’m sure many students would agree, I like that it’s only 45 minutes as opposed to the usual 3 hours, however, I’m not sure whether or not the limited time will amount to more or less stress on the day of the exam. I also appreciate that there is no multiple choice on any of the exams, as they tend to bring down my grade. With that being said, having only free response questions puts more pressure on that specific skill and on the students, as our score is taken directly from that grade. Finally, I am very excited that the exams are open-note because, obviously, that will be a huge help and takes away a bit of the memorization pressure.” – Freddie von Siemens ‘21

All in all, Marymount students are appreciative of the effort being put forth by the College Board to continue AP exams, as they are the culmination of a year long’s worth of hard work and studying in a particular subject. It is important to reciprocate this effort by continuing to stay inside and practice social distancing. I send the best of luck to everyone taking AP exams during May.