The Best Extracurricular Role at Marymount

Diana Kim '24, Staff Writer

This year is my second year with Marymount’s basketball team as the team manager. But, it is, however, my first time joining the team at the start of the season. For that reason, there have been a few new responsibilities I’ve been assigned to this year that have made my job a tad bit more interesting. So, I have decided to share my experience so far, or my Day in the Life as you may call it, with The Anchor. Now introducing my very own: Day in the Life as a high school sports team manager.

Before I go any further, I want to clarify for you all that I actually like basketball–or at least I enjoy what I know so far about basketball. To be honest, I’m here for the people–the sport’s cool, I guess. Other than spending time with my usual group of friends throughout the school day, I look forward to our practices and games to talk to people I don’t typically hang out or engage with. I think it is right to say that basketball has given me this precious opportunity as I have made countless memories in just a span of a month so far. Everyone rocks.

Onto the actual duties you may or may not be curious about, I believe that the primary responsibility of a basketball manager would be the statistics. On game days, I work the book that records the statistics throughout a game– individual player points, fouls, and time outs are all on there. As for the scoreboard, I run it during practices, which is my new responsibility of the year. I am still getting the hang of using all the buttons on the console, but I’ve gotten better at it each practice– hopefully. That’s it for the score keeping.

I do write ups after each game. Write ups are a couple of sentences that review each game with the team’s performance and score. I congratulate the team if they won, talk about a couple of strengths they showed on the court, and introduce their next game. I possess some perfectionist tendencies and always want to use the fancy basketball terminology– you know? Sometimes, I describe a particular scene I want to mention from the game to the players– thank you 24 and 22– to find the right couple of words for it. 

For the major responsibilities, this is about it. If there are other tasks assigned to me at a certain moment in time, I happily do those too. I hope you were intrigued by the title of this piece. This is The Best Extracurricular Role at Marymount.

Through the lens of my perspective during warm ups on game day. Image courtesy of Diana K. ‘24