AAPI Month Athlete Spotlight: “Shotime”

Diana Kim, Staff Writer

MLB’s greatest two-way player, the Japanese Babe Ruth, alternatively known as Shohei Ohtani of the Los Angeles Angels, has established himself as a living baseball sensation. Through his impeccable contributions as both an elite pitcher and hitter, Ohtani has shaken baseball history. He was awarded as the 2021 American League MVP and was recognized for qualifying for both the hitting and pitching leaderboards in 2022. Most recently in 2023, Shohei Ohtani served as a crucial player in leading Japan to victory in the World Baseball Classic championship, even winning the title of MVP himself.

This victory marked Japan’s third win in the WBC championship since 2006 and 2009, distinguishing them as the only country with multiple WBC titles! The 28-year-old ace player dominated the field for Team Japan in the 2023 WBC and went ALL. OUT. In Japan’s first game against China on March 9, Ohtani snagged a win as the starting pitcher, routing 8-1. Then in the final game against Team USA on March 21, Ohtani secured Japan as the ultimate champion with a grand strikeout against Mike Trout, closing out 3-2.

Ohtani aiming a pitch in the World Baseball Classic final against Team USA. Japan defeated the US 3-2. (Photo courtesy of Marta Lavandier)

Ohtani’s success was brought up from the early influence he had gained from his baseball-loving family. In high school, Shohei had already established a strong reputation for himself as a baseball player with incredibly hard pitches and a top speed of a whopping 99 miles per hour. His 6-foot-4 stature and outstanding versatility caught the attention of scouts from all over the world that by the time he graduated high school, he was labeled as one of the most anticipated Japanese prospects. From 2012, Shohei played for the Nippon Professional Baseball until he signed a deal with Major League Baseball in 2017. Ohtani made it official with the Los Angeles Angels in December of that year, where he would ultimately become the first full-time two-way MLB player in almost a century.

Not only has Shohei proved himself as one of the most legendary stars in MLB, he has also uplifted the Asian athletic community in the US. As Asian players make up a very small percentage in the sports realm, particularly in the MLB, his admirable performance and dedication have helped boost Asian representation in baseball and other sports. His success in the major leagues has shattered stereotypes about Asian athletes. Moreover, Ohtani’s humility and work ethic have also made him a role model for many Asian athletes. Shohei Ohtani continues to stand as a one-of-a-kind player whose legacy will undoubtedly continue to inspire generations of athletes to come.