How Extracurriculars Have Changed Students’ Lives and Why You Should Join

Last year the Marymount Players performed the Cantwell Chronicles: Spooky Stories to Tell in the Dark. The entire play was recorded remotely. This year’s production will be Peter and the Starcatcher!

Zoe Anaya, Staff Writer

Marymount has over twenty-five extracurriculars and clubs to take part in. Many students choose to participate in sports, the arts, Model United Nations, a plethora of student-run clubs, and much more, leaving Sailors with new skills and learning experiences as well as a great impact. 

Gaby Abraham, a Junior, is currently participating in Model UN, Student Diversity Awareness Board, Gold Ambassadors, Sunset Magazine, Future Scientists Club, Conservatory Arts Program Council, and she is in the Marymount Players. Gaby is one of the co-PR chairs on CAP council, and as a Marymount Player, she gets to “play fun eccentric characters, become someone new, work on improv skills, grow in confidence, and act with an amazing group of girls to put on fantastic productions.” She has participated in every Fall play and Spring musical since her freshman year.

Gaby says that her experience in Players has given her a  group of lifelong friends and improved her public speaking skills. Within this, she’s become a more confident person overall and has truly been able to “deepen her passions” through all Marymount has to offer. 

Lastly, she recommends that everyone tries acting even if they are inexperienced, as “it is truly an all-inclusive community meant for everyone. Even if you don’t think you are cut out for performing, there are always ways to be a part of the amazing CAP community and grow as a person.” Very wise words, Gaby!

Chloe Hofer ‘24 is an avid participant in Model UN. She recently went to the SOCOMUN conference, representing Kenya, where she won the “Outstanding Delegate” award!

Chloe Hofer, a current Sophomore, is another student who participates in a variety of co-curriculars including Model United Nations, Mental Health Alliance, LatinX Student Alliance, among a few other clubs/activities. Her favorite co-curricular is Model United Nations because she loves learning about the world, and specifically, each country’s policies. 

In this activity, students research current events from the perspective of one of the 193 countries in the United Nations. Then, they go to a conference where they discuss a particular issue and debate about a global solution as if they were a delegate from that country. Chloe loves the debate and discussion when attending conferences; she says it makes her a better public speaker, given her great research skills, as well as keeping Chloe up to date with current events and country policies.

Chloe notes that “MUN has given me confidence and has given me many skills I will use for the rest of my life,” including research, public speaking, and collaboration skills. She adds, “MUN is something to look forward to and gives me a space to connect with others.” 

Chloe started her Freshman year at Marymount completely online in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, she highlights, “when we were online, those extracurricular activities were how I made friends and connected with others outside of class.” 

Due to a welcoming group led by Dr. Menard and her acquisition of leadership skills, Chloe recommends MUN to anyone who wants to immerse themself in international relations and the debates that teach public speaking skills!

Ultimately, everyone should take advantage of the opportunities here, at Marymount because you might just find your new favorite activity. Everything is worth a try even if you’ve never done it before because all Sailors are super supportive of each other and the memories you’ll make are priceless. No experience is needed to start something new!