Meet More of Marymount III

Courtesy of Dani Glenn and Marjorie Talavera

Dani Glenn ‘18 and Marjorie Talavera ‘18, Staff Writers

Highlighted Sailor Sister of the Quarter: Chae Kim

A beloved Sailor Sister, Chae Kim is a sophomore who makes up an integral part of the Marymount community. Known as a stellar student, a talented photographer, and a gifted cellist, we can all agree that this Sailor shines brightly in everything she does. Read on to learn more about Chae’s interests, her hobbies, and more!

What has been the highlight of your sophomore year?

My highlight of my sophomore year has definitely been Spirit Week! I loved the whole class-bonding experience and I felt like I got to know my classmates a lot better!

What is your favorite class?

My favorite class this year is Pre-Calc with Mr. Pham.

What are you involved in at school?

I am in CAP Orchestra, National Art Honor Society, Anchor – the Student Newspaper, the Leadership Ambassador Team with Ms. Arenstein, and Boxes for Bravery, a club I run with my friend Tessa.

What do you enjoy doing outside of school?

I enjoy photography and taking photos.

Tell us something interesting about you that not many people know about.

I love traveling: I’ve visited many places, including Cancun, New York, Hong Kong, and Korea!

What has been your favorite place you’ve traveled to?

My favorite place that I’ve traveled to would be Hong Kong over the summer. I really enjoyed visiting Victoria’s Peak because the view was absolutely astounding. I especially liked this trip to Hong Kong because I had never been anywhere in Asia besides Korea.

What are you looking forward to as an incoming junior next year?

I am looking forward to the Junior Retreat in Ojai.

Highlighted Faculty Member of the Quarter: Ms. Meggie Purpura

Although not entirely new to the Marymount community, Ms. Meggie Purpura joined our Academic Advising Team this fall and has been loving every minute of her time at Marymount. After growing up in Chicago and spending her college years enamored with D.C.’s lavish works of art, she ventured to Los Angeles to build her career path as a counselor. Since joining the Marymount community, she brings a lively spirit to all she encounters, a listening ear to anyone needing support, and a heart of gold everywhere she goes. Here, she talks about her journey to counseling, her favorite things about Marymount, and more!

What are some of your hobbies?

I worked in the restaurant industry for a while, so, I love cooking and exploring new restaurants–that’s one of my favorite things to do with friends. I love being active: I do yoga, and I like to exercise, and I just love being outdoors. [I live] a couple of blocks from the beach, so, I [go] much as I can just to walk and be close to the ocean; it’s really calming for me.

Are you originally from Los Angeles? If not, what made you move to LA?

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, then I moved to D.C. for college, then back to Chicago. [After I moved back,] it was the dead of winter (not the fun Christmassy winter), and my closest friend had moved [to LA]. So, I went to visit her, and loved it, and then I decided to just move out.  

What made you interested in being a high school counselor?

Counseling was always a natural fit for me.  Even when I was younger, I would often take on that role with my friends and family, but something about teen girls really interested me. I was a sensitive kid and I didn’t necessarily have an outlet for that; I wish I had a counselor who I connected with. I think the teenage years are exciting and challenging and there’s a lot of change, and it’s really cool to witness you all grow from 13-year-old young girls to, basically, adults.

What is your favorite part about working alongside the rest of Marymount’s admin/faculty?

The counseling team is incredible. I feel very supported by them, we all are very close [and] we really support each other. It’s just so wonderful to feel like you’re not alone. It really makes work [nice] because there’s a lot we have to do on our own, but [we are also] able to collaborate, it’s a really good balance.