Wonderful Town Comes to Marymount

Courtesy of Genna Whittell '17

Courtesy of Genna Whittell '17

Courtesy of Genna Whittell '17

Ally DuBose ‘18, Staff Writer

Combining spectacular singing, divine dancing, and amazing acting with a comedic twist, Wonderful Town is the newest Marymount Players Production. Set in the 1950’s, this musical comedy tells the story of two sisters from Ohio, Ruth and Eileen, who move to Greenwich Village, New York, in hopes of becoming a writer and actress. As they struggle to achieve success in the Big Apple, Ruth and Eileen find themselves in unfortunate yet humorous situations. With a combined cast, crew, and orchestra of around 50 students, this year’s musical is the product of tireless hours and weeks spent on perfecting every line, dance move, and note.

The musical provides a unique experience where students from all grades come together and contribute their artistic talents, resulting in a dazzling production. Charlotte Gemperle ‘18, who has been a part of the last two musicals at Marymount, reflects on her journey of joining the team of Wonderful Town. When asked why people should come see the musical, she responded, “Through the way the actors play their parts, they grasp their characters really well; they can really deliver in terms of comedy.” It is this comedic aspect, Charlotte explains, that will surely make audience members forget about the outside world and feel as if they are a part of Ruth and Eileen’s adventures.

As the intensive rehearsals eventually came to an end, the Marymount community prepared for the most exciting event of the year: opening night of the spring musical. After a special preview for teachers on Thursday night, family and friends of the Marymount performers had the opportunity to experience the spectacular production of Wonderful Town over the weekend of March 10-12. Congratulations to the Marymount Players to all of their hours of dedicated work put into this year’s musical!