Susie The Sailor

Susie the Sailor, Section Editor & Staff Writer

1. I have so many extra curriculars and they’re always running into each other. I feel like I’m not giving any of them my all and often run behind on homework. How should I decide which ones to cut?

Great question! I had the same issue freshman year and to solve this dilemma I asked myself a question: Which extra curricular(s) reflect my interests right now and for the future? Again, this is a very difficult question, but after time and thought, there were distinct club meetings that I caught myself dreading to attend or either looking forward to attending, and I believe that the same thing will happen to you, as well. For example, I am heavily involved in The Anchor (of course) and Model United Nations (MUN), and I figured that out quite quickly after asking myself that question. Freshman year I realized that I was, and still am, very passionate about journalism, especially political/international journalism. So, both MUN and The Anchor combined were a great balance of my passions, and there are not too many tasks that overwhelm me to the point where I cannot keep up and maintain good grades and GPA. Overall, choose between 2-4 clubs to participate in, but I suggest to take leadership roles in 1-2 of those clubs, depending on how your grades and GPA are at. Overall, think about what makes you happy, not just what will look good on a college resume.

On the topic of grades, try to prioritize grades and keeping up in the classes, especially because virtual learning is much harder than at-campus learning. Please reach out to either your teachers, counselor, or both to get advice on how to raise your grades and attend lab for each class.

2. Does Susie the Sailor have any tips, especially for freshman, on how to stay in contact with friends during remote learning? Maybe study groups over facetime/zoom or eating lunch “together” via facetime?

This is an awesome question, especially considering the freshman’s situation in light of virtual learning and a pandemic! I have three tips to offer for you all right now.

The first tip is to create group chats on either iMessage, Snapchat, Instagram, or any other platform of communication that most students would probably have and utilize. Speaking from personal experience, I have found that creating group chats have really helped me keep in touch with my friends and see what they are up to on the daily. I also create group chats including a few of my classmates to study together before an exam or practice presenting a project, as long as if follows the honor code.

The second tip is either to have a group facetime or ZOOM meeting during lunch breaks and after school. Although the lunch break is not really enough time to really spend time with each other virtually, it is still time spent together whether it is 5 minutes or the whole 30 minutes. And after school, even if you and your friends are in the ZOOM/facetime group meeting and doing your own thing like homework, the time spent just in the presence of each other still counts and it feels like a study hall, just like school pre-COVID.

The third tip is more so directed to the freshmen. I understand making friends is tough, especially when it is virtual because there are not many opportunities to reach out to your classmates that you did not know previously. I suggest getting to know your classmates through every opportunity possible during your classes like during the breakout rooms, advisory meetings, or by joining a few clubs and attending the meetings as much as you can. As a junior, I am still getting to know my classmates through the breakout rooms by asking questions about classes that I share with them or just random topics. For the freshmen, some conversation starters are to ask about which middle school they went to previously if they share any friends in the class, their socials (if they have any to continue to keep in touch), what classes are they taking, and if they have siblings that attended MHS or in general, and if they have pets. People always like to talk about their pets. Also, in the clubs, make friends with the upperclasswomen. I promise we are welcoming and are here to offer advice and help to guide you, specifically during these unprecedented times. I understand that it can be intimidating, but be bold and friendly! (I would also advise you to get their socials/phone number if they have it to keep in contact after the conversation).

I hope these tips helped!