Susie the Sailor

Abby McMillan, Features Section Editor

Tips on how to make the most out of your future spirit weeks! 

As a freshman, the concept of spirit week can be scary. You aren’t sure if people are actually going to dress up, whether your class dance will be good or not, and if people will bring all the spirit they have for the week. Well, as someone who’s been through it a few times now, here are some tips to make the most out of your future spirit weeks!

The Class of 2023 giving it their all for Dressing Day as Honey Mustard!

My first tip is to bring it in the costumes! Don’t just wear sweatpants and a hoodie every day, but rather find items throughout your house to fit the theme the best you can possibly can. You don’t have to purchase costumes for each day if you don’t want to, but trying your hardest with what you have at home will make theme days more enjoyable and encourage your peers to do the same. The more participants in the theme, the more spirit your class brings to the week! Lastly, remember it’s not lame to dress up, get into it and have fun!

My second tip is to participate as much as possible in all the fun activities Marymount puts on during spirit week. Whether it be activities of Wellness Wednesday or the Dressing-Guessing Competition this year, participation in each activity helps invoke spirit within yourself and your peers without you even realizing it. Being an engaged member of the Marymount community is very important to make the most out of spirit week. Marymount faculty and ASB all put a lot of effort into each event, so reciprocating their enthusiasm and excitement throughout the week fosters more spirit throughout the whole community. It isn’t solely about fun and games though, participating also puts you in the running to win spirit points for your grade, and even on occasion, special prizes!!! 

Current senior Kiera Courtney (’23) protecting the anchor during last year’s game of Capture the Anchor!

My third, and final tip to make the most out of spirit week is to give your class dance your all! It can feel like a hassle, and you don’t necessarily want to give up your lunch, but devoting time to practice your dance as a class will make spirit week all the more fun. The highlight of spirit week each year is “Class Color Friday” which includes the class dance. Students each year bring the most spirit and participation on Friday, making the dance one of the most important aspects of spirit week itself. Giving the dance your all, even for non-dancers such as myself, creates a sense of community and spirit within your class to make your spirit week the best it can be. 

Spirit week is a very unique experience that comes with being a Marymount student. As a senior, I can advise students to make the most of their spirit weeks by participating in every event they can and giving the costumes your all! This week flies by and before you know it, it’ll be your last spirit week ever, so bring all the spirit you can to make each spirit week the best it can possibly be!!